Disabled parking

Legislation changes - 30 August

Due to Blue Badge legislation changes, effective from 30 August, we anticipate a high volume of applications. This means it may take us longer than usual to process Blue Badge applications.

What is a blue badge?

Blue badge permits provide parking concessions if you have severe mobility problems and have difficulty using public transport. Blue badge holders can either be the driver or the passenger of a vehicle they are travelling in.

Who can have a blue badge?

There are two types of eligibility criteria. An individual's eligibility for a Blue Badge is considered in terms of being ‘eligible without further assessment’ (previously known as ‘automatic’) or ‘eligible subject to further assessment’ (previously known as ‘discretionary’).

Type 1: Without further assessment criteria

People who may be issued with a badge without further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:

  • receives the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA); or
  • receives 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
  • receives the mobility component of PIP and has obtained 10 points under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the grounds they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress; or
  • is registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
  • receives a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
  • has been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces.

Proof of receipt of a score of 10 points under the “planning and following a journey” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independent Payment.

  • Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant (10 points).

Type 2: Subject to further assessment criteria

People who may be issued with a badge after further assessment are those who are more than two years old and may be described as one or more of the following:

  • a person who drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
  • a person who has been certified by an expert assessor as having an enduring and substantial disability which causes them, during the course of a journey, to: be unable to walk / experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person
  • persons needing such certification are those in whose case a local authority does not consider it self-evident that they fall within these descriptors. If it is not self-evident to a local authority on the basis of the information available to them, from the applicant and health or social care practitioners, whether the applicant falls within these descriptors, then a referral should be made to an expert assessor for certification

Any of the above three types of difficulty whilst walking could potentially be caused by a physical disability, or by a ‘non-physical’ disability. In either case, the disability experienced by the applicant must endure for at least three years.

In addition, children under the age of three may be eligible for a badge if they fall within either or both of the following descriptions:

  • a child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty;
  • a child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.

How to apply

You can apply for a blue badge by completing the form using the link below:

Apply for or renew your Blue Badge

Proof of entitlement

If you are applying for a mandatory badge, please supply a copy of any of the following with the application form, which must be dated within the last 12 months.

  • Your Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Benefit Award letter confirming entitlement to higher rate mobility component.
  • Your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Benefit Award letter confirming you receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment
  • War Pension confirming mobility component.
  • Blind registration card.

Proof of identity and address required for both types of badges

When submitting an application form for Mandatory and Discretionary, please supply a copy of one item from the following list, dated within the last 12 months:

  • utility bill, rent or pension book
  • bank statement
  • valid driving licence (card or paper version)
  • DWP or DLA benefit
  • Tax credit award or Inland Revenue letter.

In addition, you will need to bring a copy of one item from the following list, as proof of identity:

  • marriage, birth or adoption certificate (must be full certificate with parent’s details)
  • valid driving licence (card or paper version)
  • valid passport
  • national identity card
  • NHS medical card.

You will also need to bring

  • one passport sized photograph.

Notes on photographs

  • Please supply a recent, clear and front facing picture of the applicant's full face.
  • It is not acceptable to wear a hat or scarf. In the case of religious preferences, the scarf should not hide your face.
  • If you are wearing dark lenses, we may require you to provide a new picture without glasses, unless you are registered blind.
  • Write your name clearly on the back of the photograph.

Requirements for under 16s

In addition to the above being provided for the parent/guardian, we will also need the child's DLA award letter showing their entitlement, if you are applying for a discretionary badge. If the blue badge is being issued, the child's full birth or adoption certificate must be provided.

Rights and responsibilities

The Department for Transport has developed a useful guide for blue badge holders. It explains your responsibilities as a badge holder as well as how to display the badge and when you need to use a parking clock. Visit the Department for Transport website to find out more.

Blue badge charge

Please be advised that from 7 October 2013, there will be a charge for all approved blue badge applications (this includes lost, stolen or damaged blue badges). This £10 charge is payable upon collection of your new blue badge.


You will be sent a notification letter to advise you when your badge is ready for collection.

Collection days are every Tuesday/Wednesday & Thursday from 2pm to 4.30pm

  • If a third party is collecting the blue badge on your behalf, then we will need:
  • a letter of authority from the applicant giving the 3rd party permission to collect the badge
  • the third party's ID – passport or driving licence.

If you need further assistance, contact us on 01753 475111, Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm.