The council’s sustainable transport team, Better by…, continued their campaign to encourage greener forms of travel with a cycling event especially for college freshers and staff in Langley.
The team hosted Better by… bike at Windsor Forest Colleges Group’s Langley campus last Thursday, as part of the college’s Freshers’ Fair.
The event was designed to inspire students and staff to switch from car to bike, as well as provide support and information for those making the change.
The event, which took place in The Street area of the campus, was buzzing with a competitive atmosphere as staff and students raced each other on Rollapaluza’s ‘spinning style’ static bikes.
Others also enjoyed making their own fruity drinks on the rather popular smoothie-making bike!
The team also provided advice on cycle routes in Slough, as well as the variety of cycle skills classes happening for all abilities in the borough.
In addition, there was a complimentary bike surgery hosted by Cycle Experience, which students and staff brought their bikes down to for minor repairs and maintenance.
The event was part of the wider Better by… campaign, which aims to encourage people of all ages to use environmentally-friendly forms of travel, such as walking, cycling and public transport, while improving their fitness, saving money and time on the daily commute; and enabling residents to explore new places in the borough.
Other facets under the programme see the team working with those living, working and studying across Slough, and include:
• travel and journey planning training for job seekers and students to assist them in getting to interviews, training and places of work
• subsidised cycle skills lessons for all ages and abilities in Salt Hill Park
• community cycling events throughout the year featuring static bike races, bike roadshows, a smoothie making bike and advice to help residents to get back on their bikes
• road safety and awareness training for staff, parents and pupils at primary schools
• working with local businesses to assist with cycle to work schemes and developing the cycle infrastructure in and around the borough
• discounted cycle maintenance courses and bike surgeries
• the Cycle Slough cycle hire
• cycle ride leader training and more.
Phil Davies, head of estates at Windsor Forest Colleges Group, said: “The Freshers’ Fair at our Langley campus was a fun and exciting day that was enjoyed by many of our new students. The Rollapaluza cycle challenge was a particular favourite amongst staff and students!
“Our collaboration with Better by… continues to be a great way to promote sustainable forms of travel in the Berkshire area.”
Councillor Martin Carter, cabinet member for planning and transport, said: “We are committed to providing the community with access to sustainable forms of travel, as we are passionate about improving the environment, as well as the health and wellbeing of Slough residents.
“We hope that our Better by… bike event will inspire college students and staff to make the switch to greener modes of travel; and also want to encourage other community groups, organisations and charities to reach out to us, if they’re interested in getting involved with any of our cycling activities.
Better by… events are taking place in schools and workplaces in Slough throughout the year. For more information and to be involved, see the official Better by… page.