Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Private tenants

How the council helps private tenants

Contacting us about disrepair in your home

In the first instance you should always contact your landlord. You may want to do this by phone if it’s an urgent problem, e.g. if your heating system breaks down in the middle of winter or you have no hot water.

You should follow this up with a letter to your landlord, at the address shown on the tenancy agreement (you can get free proof of postage from the post office or send by recorded delivery) or by email. This will ensure that you are able to show when it was sent.

If you don’t get a response to your written correspondence then contact your landlord again. At this stage, we advise that you advise your landlord that you will be contacting the Slough Housing Regulation team. Following your request to carry out repairs, you must allow your landlord, their agents and contractors a reasonable period of time to complete the repairs.

If you don’t receive any response from your landlord then you can contact the Housing Regulation Team, using the online service request form.

For general advice on reporting repairs see Shelter - repairs in private rented homes.

Housing matters we can investigate on your behalf.

  • Dampness and mould growth.
  • Broken or ineffective heating.
  • Security issues, such as broken door or window locks.
  • Lack of lighting.
  • Poor water supply and drainage
  • Electrical hazards
  • Lack of fire and smoke detection.

Examples of urgent repairs

  • No heating (this may be dependent on weather).
  • No water supply.
  • A gas leak.
  • No electricity.
  • Unusable toilet (where this is the only toilet in the property).
  • Burst water pipes.
  • Structural collapse in the building or imminent structural collapse.

Please note that the Housing Regulation Team cannot get involved in disputes about broken appliances for example washing machines or fridge.

Service request form

Use this form to request help: Private tenants service request form

What we will do

We will visit the property to inspect. During the inspection the officer will assess the condition of the property and complete a general survey of the dwelling, noting any disrepair . A system called the Housing Health and Safety Rating System is then used to help the officer assess what kind of action may be required.

The officer will contact your landlord and advise him or her of what has been found at the property. We will endeavor to agree timescales with your landlord for repairs to be carried out.

Where your landlord fails to respond to us or where he she fails to agree or stick to timescales for carrying out repairs, and the repairs are serious enough, the officer will wish to revisit. If the outstanding works are serious enough, the officer may serve your landlord a notice under the Housing Act 2004 or another piece of legislation. You shall receive copies of all notices served on your landlord.

In some cases, the Local Authority can undertake repairs on the landlords behalf, although this is unusual, and is called Works in Default.

Contact us

Tel: 01753 875431
Online service request form
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Slough, SL1 2EL