Private landlords

Right to rent

You must check that a tenant or lodger can legally rent your residential property in England.

Before the start of a new tenancy, you must make checks for tenants aged 18 and over, even if:

  • they’re not named on the tenancy agreement
  • there’s no tenancy agreement
  • the tenancy agreement isn’t in writing.

If the tenant is only allowed to stay in the UK for a limited time, you need to do the check in the 28 days before the start of the tenancy.

For more information to check your tenant's right to rent go to the GOV.UK site.

Landlords online service

For landlords with tenants claiming benefit, you will need to register to be able to view the following information about your tenants who are claiming benefit:

  • award notifications
  • details of the award
  • payment information

you will also have the ability to download payment information in digital format.

New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms Regulations 2015

From 1 October 2015 regulations require smoke alarms to be installed in rented residential accommodation and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with a solid fuel appliance. For maximum protection smoke alarms should be fitted in every room - but as a minimum, at least one should be fitted on each level of the house.

The Regulations apply

  • both to houses and flats and
  • to all tenancies that commenced after 1 October 2015.

Failure to comply can lead to a civil penalty being imposed of up to £5,000.

How the council helps private landlords

The council works in close co-operation with private landlords to provide the widest variety of options for those in housing need. The council also help landlords with many tenancy issues and has a regulatory role to perform, particularly regarding the quality of accommodation being offered and safety issues in houses in multiple occupancy (HMOs).

Slough Landlords' Forum

Our Landlords' Forum has run since March 2010. It has covered various topics requested by local landlords, which have included:

  • landlords' rights and responsibilities towards tenants Housing allowance procedures
  • buy to let mortgages
  • buying and selling at auctions
  • property tax
  • property law
  • NLA Accreditation
  • HMO standards and licensing
  • energy efficiencies
  • rules and regulations.

Landlords who manage properties in Slough benefit from expertise brought into these free forums.

For more details or to register for a place you can email: