Alterations & repairs

Making alterations to your property

Before you do any changes or work that will affect the structure or outside of the building, or shared areas, you must ask your leasehold officer for written permission. This is because we have an investment in the block and a responsibility to the other tenants.

We will not refuse permission unless we have a good reason. We may however, carry out inspections or investigate further before we make a decision. We may charge you for this work.

You may also need to get planning permission and building consent before starting work. We will normally make it a condition that you do this when we give you permission for the work. You still need permission from your Housing Officer, as well as these approvals.

Unauthorised alterations can cause problems when you try to sell your home. For example, if you have altered the internal walls, the layout of your home would no longer match the lease plan which forms an important part of the lease.

Please remember: windows are our responsibility and you are not allowed to change them. Similarly you are not allowed to fix anything to the roof or external walls (satellite dishes etc) without the council’s permission. To request permission or for more information please contact your Neighbourhood Housing Officer.

Repairs and maintenance

Leaseholders are responsible for their own repairs in their homes.

Slough Borough Council is responsible for the structure and outside of the building and all shared areas and services – which leaseholders contribute to through service charges.

To report a repair that is the responsibility of Slough Borough Council call the repairs helpdesk on 0800 915 1215 and give details of the problem.

For more information on who is responsible for which repairs please see your Leaseholder’s Handbook.


If you suspect a gas leak, call Transco immediately on 0800 111 999. There is a charge for calls to this number or for investigating leaks.

If there is a water leak, turn off the water at the mains stopcock which should be clearly labelled. If the leak is the responsibility of Slough Borough Council or you do not know whose responsibility it is call the repairs helpdesk on 0800 915 1215.

Contact us

Contact Housing Services

01753 475111

Housing Services
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road
Slough, SL1 3UF