UK and EU nationals

Where do we give notice?

If you are both British nationals or national of a European Union country, you are required to give your notice at the Register Office in the district where you live (a good indication is where you pay your council tax to).

Please note that if you are giving notice at Slough Register Office, you will need to contact us to make an appointment first.

Each person wishing to get married or form a civil partnership has to give notice of intention to marry in person, no one else can do this for them.

What documents will we need to provide?

You are required to produce evidence of your full name, age, nationality, marital status and address.

Age, nationality, address

Valid passport
Valid ID card (European nationals)
If you are a British Citizen but do not have a current valid passport, you will need to provide in all cases your full birth certificate showing your parents details, a secondary form of ID such as a photo ID driving licence or NHS card.

NB: If you were born on or after the 1st January 1983, you will need to also produce either your mothers or fathers birth certificates if they were married at the time of your birth or your mother’s birth certificate if they were not.

Proof of address - one of the following:

  • utility bill dated no more than three months before the date on which notice of marriage is given
  • bank or building society statement or passbook dated no more than one month before the date on which notice of marriage is given
  • council tax bill dated no more than one year before the date on which notice of marriage is given
  • mortgage statement dated no more than one year before the date on which notice of marriage is given
  • current residential tenancy agreement
  • valid United Kingdom driving licence in the name of the person giving notice of marriage (full or provisional issued by the United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
  • letter from the owner/proprietor of the address ("X") that states their name and address, and confirms that they are the owner/proprietor and that it is their place of residence - it must also be signed and dated by X within one month of the date on which notice of marriage is given.

Marital status

If you have been married or in a civil partnership previously you will also need:

  • proof of how your last marriage ended - usually a death certificate if widowed or your divorce / annulment document
  • divorce papers, translated into English by a reputable translator if they are from a foreign country (we may need to refer these documents to the General Register Office, which could take up to six weeks, so bear this in mind when choosing a wedding date)

NB: In the case of the bride, if you have reverted to your maiden name after divorce or your name is not shown on the death certificate, you will be required to produce your previous marriage certificate to establish a link between your current name and your previous married name as shown for example on the decree absolute.

Please note

  • Original documents must be produced when you give notice, photocopies, faxed copies, e-mailed copies are not acceptable
  • Any documents presented must be in English, if they are not , translations are required to support the original documents.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that you provide sufficient acceptable proof of your marital status if you have been previously married.

Other documents that you may need to produce

If you have changed your name by deed poll or by statutory declaration, you must bring the relevant legal documents with you.

If you are under 18 years of age, you will require a consent form signed by your parents, confirming their agreement to your wedding/civil partnership taking place. The consent form is available from any Register Office and must be completed and handed to the registrar when notice is given.