Marrying abroad

UK nationals getting married abroad

There are separate rules and regulations for marriage/civil partnerships which take place in:

  • Scotland
  • Northern Ireland
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Commonwealth countries, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
  • Foreign countries.

Each of them has separate regulations around the nationalities of the parties marrying, residence in the district before giving notice and the length of the period of notice. It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct paperwork to marry in your chosen country. You should contact the relevant authorities.

If you are intending to contract a marriage or civil partnership in one of the locations detailed above, please contact us, we can then give you the specific information you need to meet your individual requirements.

You cannot register a foreign marriage/civil partnership in this country.