Universal credit help and support

With effect from 1 April 2019, Citizens Advice will be available to assist you to make a claim for Universal Credit. They will be located in Slough JCP and are available without an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, and with an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons. To book an appointment please email htc@maidenheadcab.org.uk

Citizens Advice can also offer advice over the telephone via a national Freephone number 0800 144 8 444 which is open 9am to 6pm every day. There will also be online chat and email available shortly. You can visit the Citizens Advice website for more information.

In addition, you can also contact Universal Credit direct on the following numbers

Universal Credit (UC) support:
(Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)

  • Full Service UC claims advice - 0800 328 5644
  • Live Service UC claims advice - 0800 328 9344
  • Apply for an advance payment of Universal Credit - 0800 328 5644
  • Request for housing costs payments to go direct to your landlord - 0800 328 5644

Claiming other benefits:

Apply for contributions based ESA (Employment Support Allowance) - 0800 328 5644

Applying for contributions based JSA (Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA):

  • In a Full service area – apply online
  • In a Live service area - 0800 328 9344

Online calculators:

Job Centre

  • Your local job centre will be able to advise you on Universal Credit, payments and budgeting support. If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment please speak to your work coach.
  • If you need financial help before your UC payment is due and meet certain conditions, you can ask for an advanced payment. Please note that future payments will be reduced to pay for this advance.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

  • The DWP aim to deliver support and information to help those affected to understand the changes and prepare for the move to Universal Credit.
  • For further information, you can contact the DWP on the Universal Credit helpline: 0345 600 0723 or visit the Universal Credit web pages for more information.
  • Further information for landlord and tenants help them prepare for the move to direct payments and what protections and safeguards are in place - see Universal Credit and landlords - GOV.UK

Money Advice Service

  • Information to help you understand more about Universal Credit and financial budgeting is also available on the Money Advice Service website.
  • If you are currently claiming benefits and you want to know how Universal Credit might affect you in the future, you can use the Universal Credit Personal Planner to get a personal statement to find out what changes you may need to make to get ready for Universal Credit.
  • The budget planner on the Money Advice Service website may help you with managing your money.

How we can help you

The Citizen Advice in Slough JCP or over the telephone can:

  • advise you on when Universal Credit may affect you
  • help you get ready to claim Universal Credit (e.g. help you set up an email address)
  • help you claim for Universal Credit when the time comes
  • advise on your claim for Council Tax Support and Discretionary Housing Payments, please note these claims must be made to the council
  • let you use a computer PC to make your Universal Credit claim
  • information is also available for employers to help them understand what Universal Credit means for them and their employees who claim it.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and might have trouble paying your rent while waiting for your Universal Credit payment to come through, please contact our rents team on 01753 475111 as soon as possible to let us know.

Getting access to a computer

If you don't have a computer or mobile device that you can use to make your claim for Universal Credit, there are several places you can get free internet access and help:

  • JCP Slough
  • The Curve
  • Libraries in the borough

Help to Claim will provide free, confidential and impartial support to help people make a Universal Credit claim.

People using the service can get advice on anything to do with applying for the benefit, including gathering the required evidence, filling in the application or preparing for their first jobcentre appointment.

Citizens Advice and Citizens Advice Scotland are committed to providing ‘Help to Claim’ across all areas of England, Wales and Scotland, ensuring a consistent service across Great Britain. People will be able to access support online, over the phone and face-to-face through local Citizens Advice bureaus.

Anyone who requires support to make a new Universal Credit claim or is moving from a legacy benefit to Universal Credit following a change of circumstances can access Help to Claim.

Accessing Help to Claim support is completely voluntary.

The service can be accessed any time until the first full correct payment of Universal Credit is in place.