There are lots of organisations that can help you understand Universal Credit, help you make a claim, and offer advice and support if you're finding it hard to manage.
Universal Credit (UC) support:
(Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)
- Full Service UC claims advice - 0800 328 5644
- Live Service UC claims advice - 0800 328 9344
- Apply for an advance payment of Universal Credit - 0800 328 5644
- Request for housing costs payments to go direct to your landlord - 0800 328 5644
Claiming other benefits:
Apply for contributions based ESA (Employment Support Allowance) - 0800 328 5644
Applying for contributions based JSA (Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA):
- In a Full service area – apply online
- In a Live service area - 0800 328 9344
- Your local job centre will be able to advise you on Universal Credit, payments and budgeting support. If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment please speak to your work coach.
- If you need financial help before your UC payment is due and meet certain conditions, you can ask for an advanced payment. Please note that future payments will be reduced to pay for this advance.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- The DWP aim to deliver support and information to help those affected to understand the changes and prepare for the move to Universal Credit.
- For further information, you can contact the DWP on the Universal Credit helpline: 0345 600 0723 or visit the Universal Credit web pages for more information.
- Further information for landlord and tenants help them prepare for the move to direct payments and what protections and safeguards are in place - see Universal Credit and landlords - GOV.UK
Money Advice Service
- Information to help you understand more about Universal Credit and financial budgeting is also available on the Money Advice Service website.
- If you are currently claiming benefits and you want to know how Universal Credit might affect you in the future, you can use the Universal Credit Personal Planner to get a personal statement to find out what changes you may need to make to get ready for Universal Credit.
How we can help you
Our Customer Service Centre in Slough can:
- Advise you on when Universal Credit may affect you
- Help you get ready to claim Universal Credit (e.g. help you set up an email address)
- Help you claim for Universal Credit when the time comes
- Arrange for personal budgeting help and advice.
- Advise and take your claim for Council Tax Support and Discretionary Housing Payments.
- Let you use a computer PC to make your Universal Credit claim.
Call us on 01753 475111
Or visit us at
MyCouncil, Landmark Place, High Street, Slough SL1 1JL
Map showing location of MyCouncil
9am - 6.30pm Monday
9am - 5.30pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
10am - 5.30pm Thursday
9am - 1.30pm Saturday - we offer a limited reception service on Saturdays
If you are a council tenant and might have trouble paying your rent while waiting for your Universal Credit payment to come through, please contact our rents team on 01753 475111 as soon as possible to let us know.
Getting access to a computer
If you don't have a computer or mobile device that you can use to make your claim for Universal Credit, there are several places that you can free internet access and help: