Universal credit - who is affected

Who is affected by Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people and includes help towards housing costs.

Pension age people are not affected by Universal Credit and there are no changes to Housing Benefit if you are of pension age.

From 11th April 2018, for residents living in virtually every postcode in Slough, we won’t be able to accept new claims for Housing Benefit if you are of working age* - you will have to claim Universal Credit instead.

If you received Housing Benefit on 10th April, we will continue to pay your Housing Benefit until your circumstances mean you are no longer entitled to Housing Benefit, or until we are asked to end your Housing Benefit claim because you have claimed, or need to claim, Universal Credit.

You must still make your claim for Council Tax Support to us because this is not included in Universal Credit.

We may be able to award Discretionary Housing Payment if you need extra help with your housing costs.

(* There are a few exceptions for example if you live in supported accommodation or temporary accommodation or you have been told you cannot claim Universal Credit because you have three or more children.)

How does Universal Credit affect your business?

Universal Credit is a new single monthly payment for people who are on a low income or out of work.

It brings together a range of current benefits and tax credits.

Find out more about how it can help your business.

Fact sheets:

The Employer Engagement Team at Slough Job Centre Plus can also provide more information and support on 0345 604 3719.