Personal Independence Payment

You may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability. If you’re aged 16 to 64 you could get between £22 and £141.10 a week by claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support. You can make a claim here.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs. 

If you get Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people aged 16 to 64. You can keep getting DLA if you’re under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim.

You’ll continue getting DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to apply for PIP. You don’t need to do anything until DWP writes to you about your DLA unless your circumstances change.

If you’re 65 or over, you can apply for Attendance Allowance

Help with PIP

You can contact a local support organisation to get help understanding PIP.
Find out more about Personal Independence Payments on the GOV.UK website.


Support with applying for PIP

A free App called C-App has been developed to help you apply for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The website allows you to:

  • understand what the benefits are and how to apply
  • understand the forms and the assessment processes
  • know how to answer the questions in your assessment
  • know more about your rights
  • plus you can practice, at your own pace, the sort of questions you'll be asked.

This can help you:

  • be more confident about the forms and ready for your assessment
  • get clear about what you need to mention in your assessment
  • get an idea of whether you'll qualify for benefit, and at what level, when you do the assessment for real.