Council tax support

From 1st April 2013 Council Tax Benefit changed to Council Tax Support (CTS). In Slough there were no changes to the way you receive your payment, this will still be put onto your Council Tax account and the bill you receive will show the support you have received.

Council Tax Support can help pay towards some, of your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, even if you own your own home. You can apply for Council Tax Support whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

The amount you will get will depend on your individual circumstances. This will include your age and whether you live alone.

Please note that CTS cannot help with water charges. Also it cannot help you pay a mortgage: you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you need help with this.

If you need any further information or wish to discuss your specific circumstances, please contact the benefits helpline on 01753 475111 or visit MyCouncil.

Making a claim

You can get more information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support by visiting the GOV.UK website. If you make a claim for Pension Credit, Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance you will be invited to also claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

Online claim form

To make a claim for Housing benefit and/or Council Tax Support you can now apply online.

Download claim form

You can print and complete the:

If you cannot print this form, please call 01753 475111 and request for one to be sent to you.

The What is council tax support page gives you more details about the scheme.

Keep us informed

If you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and your circumstances have changed, please complete the change of circumstances form. This may affect how much Council Tax you have to pay.

We'll send you a revised Council Tax bill showing any changes.

You need to tell us of any changes within one month of the change happening so you don’t lose out on any extra benefit you may be entitled to.

If you have been overpaid support then this will be debited to your Council Tax account and we will send you a revised bill showing your new instalments. If you are entitled to more money this will be credited to your Council Tax account and a revised bill send showing the lower instalments.

A change in circumstances can be relating to you, your partner or anyone else living in your household and can be, for example:


If you or your partner’s income goes up or down or if the income of any other person in your household goes up or down, for example:

  • Income Support.
  • Job Seekers Allowance.
  • State Retirement Pensions.
  • Works/Occupational Pensions.
  • Earnings.
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit.
  • Child Benefit.
  • Savings or Capital.
  • Rent from sub-tenants or lodgers.
  • Maintenance payments.
  • Any other state Benefits.

Accommodation details

  • If you move to a new home OR
  • if you change rooms.

Household details

  • If a child is born.
  • If any of your children leave school or leave home.
  • If you stop receiving Child Benefit for any of your children.
  • If any of your other circumstances change.
  • If anyone moves into or out of your home, including lodgers and subtenants.
  • If you or anyone living with you starts work.
  • If you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a government training scheme, goes in hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison or changes or leaves a job.
  • If you receive any decision from the Home Office.
  • If you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month.

If you are not sure whether we need to know about a specific change then please contact us and we will be happy to advise you.

Council Tax Hardship

The Council Tax Hardship scheme has been developed to support residents who are suffering hardship and need assistance for a specified period of time to pay their Council Tax. The scheme will only be used for the payment of Council Tax and all payments will be credited to the Council Tax account, no payments will be paid direct to the customer.  Please contact us for more information.

Overpayment/Change of Circumstances

If you feel that there has been an overpayment of benefit, an underpayment, or if your circumstances have changed you must notify the benefits section immediately.

Evidence and proofs you need to provide

These are the same as for Housing Benefit - you can view them here Housing Benefit proofs.

Council Tax Support appeals

If you disagree with a decision that we have made regarding CTS, you will need to write to us and explain why you think the decision is wrong. This should be done as quickly as possible after we have made our decision. We will look at our decision again and we may amend it in your favour. Once we have considered an appeal you will be notified of the decision in writing together with the reasons for the decision.

However, if you do not agree with the decision and wish to appeal further you must at this stage write directly to:

Valuation Tribunal,
Second Floor,
Black Lion House,
45 Whitechapel Road,
London E1 1DU
Tel: 0300 123 2035

Contact us

Contact Benefits form

01753 475111
Monday to Friday 8am - 7pm.

In person

By email
If you contact the team via email: please include your account reference number in the subject line.