Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Change of circumstances & overpayments


If you feel that there has been an overpayment of benefit, an underpayment, or if your circumstances have changed you must notify the benefits section immediately.

Changes of circumstances

If you have already submitted a claim for Housing Benefit and your circumstances have changed you must notify us immediately as the change may affect the level of benefit you receive.

You need to tell us of any changes within one month of the change happening so you don’t lose out on any extra benefit you may be entitled to. If you have been overpaid benefit then you are liable to pay the money back to us whether payment was made to you or your landlord.

You can tell us online about a change in your circumstances.

Or download a form below, and once completed, scan it and email it to or you can return it to PO Box 1032 Slough SL1 3YT.

A change in circumstances can be relating to you, your partner or anyone else living in your household and can be, for example:


If you or your partner’s income goes up or down or if the income of any other person in your household goes up or down, for example: 

  • Income Support 
  • Job Seekers Allowance 
  • State Retirement Pensions 
  • Works/Occupational Pensions 
  • Earnings 
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit 
  • Child Benefit 
  • Savings or Capital 
  • Rent from sub-tenants or lodgers 
  • Maintenance payments 
  • Any other state Benefits 

Accommodation details 

  • If you move to a new home OR 
  • If your rent goes up or down 
  • If you change rooms 

Household details

  • If a child is born 
  • If any of your children leave school or leave home 
  • If you stop receiving Child Benefit for any of your children 
  • If any of your other circumstances change 
  • If anyone moves into or out of your home, including lodgers and subtenants 
  • If you or anyone living with you starts work 
  • If you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a government training scheme, goes in hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison or changes or leaves a job 
  • If you receive any decision from the Home Office
  • If you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month

If you are unsure whether we need to know about a specific change then please contact us and we will be happy to advise you.

Contacting the benefits team

We do not usually acknowledge receipt of any documents received.

We normally respond to enquiries in date order, unless there are other pressing matters, for instance action to evict you by your landlord, so make sure you tell us all about these. All written communications are stored on our document imaging system and cannot be lost. We are taking around:

  • 20 days to process benefit claims and
  • 10 days for changes affecting benefit and charges.

We will write to you to inform you of the outcome. This could be a letter or a revised invoice.

Please call 01753 475111 if you need an urgent response.

Contact us

Contact Benefits form

01753 475111
Monday 9am-5pm
Tuesday 9am-5pm
Wednesday 10am-5pm
Thursday 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

In person
Community Hubs

By email
If you contact the team via email: please include your account reference number in the subject line.