Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Calculating your housing benefit

When we work out your benefit we take into account the following details - 

  • how much money you and your partner have coming in each week
  • how much you and your partner have in savings and investments
  • circumstances of other people in your household
  • the amount of rent you are charged
  • the amount of your council tax liability.

The income we use to work out your benefit

If you and/or your partner are working we take into account all of your pay but deduct income tax, national insurance and half of any money you pay into a pension scheme.

There are certain benefits which we do not take into account i.e disability living allowance and attendance allowance, however you must still tell us about and provide proof of all income you receive.

We also need to be told about all your savings and investments. We disregard the first £6000 of your savings and investments however please still provide us with proof.

If you get income support, jobseekers allowance (income based) or employment support allowance (income related), you may receive maximum benefit based on your eligible rent.

Applicable amounts

An applicable amount is the amount the government says you need to live on each week and your benefit will be calculated by comparing the level of your income to this amount.

Your applicable amount is made up of three parts - 

  • an amount for you and your partner, if you have one
  • an amount for any dependent children in your family
  • any premiums to help with special needs, for example, if you have a disabled child

These amounts are set by the government and normally change every year.

Calculation of benefit for private tenants

If you are a private tenant and make a new claim your entitlement will be calculated using the Local Housing Allowance rates.